Ocean Encounters - Kealakekua Reef Snorkel
Departing from Honokohau Harbor just north of Kailua-Kona, this fun snorkel cruise takes you to Kealakekua Bay, one of the best snorkel spots in all of Hawaii. En route you're likely to see Hawaiian spinner dolphins. Once at the bay, which is a marine preserve, it's time to jump into the water. The pristine waters are home to hundreds of species of fish and a spectacular coral reef. Snorkel with tropical reef fish and keep your eye out for turtles. Spinner dolphins are also commonly spotted in the bay.
If you have never snorkeled before, no need to worry. The Ocean Encounters crew specializes in first-time snorkelers. Their first mates will snorkel with you until you feel comfortable on your own. This snorkel cruise includes all snorkel gear and flotation devices.
- Cruise down the Kona Coast and enjoy scenic shoreline views
- Snorkel at Kealakekua Bay, home to a wide variety of tropical fish and an amazing coral reef
- See the Captain Cook Monument
- Snorkel gear (mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit if necessary, flotation devices)
- Light snacks
- Beverages of soda and water
- Where and When:
- Tour time: 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Check in at 8:00 am at the Honokohau Marina, 74-425 Kealakehe Parkway, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
(For GPS users please note there is more than one Kealakehe!)
Directions for Honokohau Marina & Check-In:
Check in at the Bite Me Logo Store -
The Marina is 5 miles south of Kona airport and 3 or 4 miles north of Kailua-Kona. At the traffic light intersection, take Kealakehe Parkway from the highway (Hwy 19) towards the ocean. You'll see the sailboat masts from the highway and there's a sign for Honokohau Marina. Take that road lined with coconut palms and go Right at your first opportunity. Immediately on your left is a blue building complex with its own parking lot; our office is right by the flagpole.
- There are no specific restrictions for this activity.
- Special Notes:
- It is an extremely rare occurrence, but if we do not see ANY manta rays on Ocean Encounters night manta snorkel or dolphins on Ocean Encounters dolphin encounter, you are welcome to come back out with us again on the same excursion during the same vacation. This is based on availability and totally free of charge. We recommend you book early in your trip so if you need to take advantage of the guarantee you have more flexibility.
- Operation Days:
- 4 hours
- Ocean Encounters
- Big Island
- 37 passengers